Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Rant No. 1


Mother Earth and Those Pretty Faces

I was watching those Miss Earth promotional TV ads wherein the contestants say their stuff about the conservation of nature. I couldn't help but ask skeptical questions about those pretty faces.

Have they tried picking trash on Manila Bay?

Have they tried getting dirty on the banks of Pasig River?

Have they planted at least a single tree on their lifetime?

Did they join the pageant to campaign for Mother Earth or to just strut their pretty faces?

Do they really, really know what on EARTH they are talking about?

------------------------

Oh... i remember also that time when ABS-CBN hosted a benefit concert for the Save La Mesa Dam drive. I got really, really annoyed with the hosts. I can't help myself when i uttered some curse: Tang-**a din ano? Mineral water din naman tinutungga nyo eh.

Not surprisingly, i decided not to buy that baller-id for that Save La Mesa drive. Nor did I affix my signature on their signature campaign. Comeon, of course I know the value of clean water. But the Save La Mesa Dam project does not solve the problem. There were people who were legally promised land on that portion of La Mesa. Given the legal contract, no matter how faulty it was conceived, these people have the right to build their homes there too. The Save La Mesa Dam drive should have campaigned not only for clean water but for legal compromises with these people who were promised with land.

No comments: